Even during the carefree months of summer, children can be preparing for the next grade with Daily Summer Activities. It’s packed with engaging activities that will build learners’ confidence for the next grade level by practicing essential skills. Activities offer practice of essential skills across subject areas, including reading, math, writing, spelling, and geography.
With just one or two activities per day over a 10-week period, Daily Summer Activities helps to keep skills sharp without getting in the way of vacation time.
Updated in 2018, the revised Daily Summer Activities reflects grade-level expectations and includes open-ended questions to develop your child’s critical thinking skills. Fun reward stickers are also included.
10 weeks of instruction cover the following skills:
Language arts practice:
- a fiction and a nonfiction story with comprehension questions each week
- sentences to correct for capitalization, punctuation, and grammar
- 8 to 10 spelling words to learn each week
- manuscript handwriting practice
- creative writing activities
- addition and subtraction facts
- word problems
- two- and three-digit addition and subtraction with and without borrowing and carrying
- multiplication facts to 25
- practice cards for addition and subtraction facts from 10 to 18
Language skills such as:
- alphabetical order
- nouns and verbs
- synonyms and antonyms
- vowel sounds
- parts of sentences
- map symbols
- reading simple maps
Moving from second to third grade is a big step. Kids are making the switch from learning to read to reading to learn.