Well-tried variants such as "Catan Event Cards," "Harbormaster," and "Catan for Two" offer alternatives for customizing the game to your own needs. In addition, the 2-player variant allows you to play the Base Game as well as all scenarios of this expansion against only one opponent. Over the course of a campaign with five scenarios, the story is told of how things develop on Catan after the first settlements and cities are built.
As the "Fishermen of Catan," we experience how fishing not only adds to the menu but also opens up completely new tactical possibilities. In the second scenario, "The Rivers of Catan," the rivers prove to be true lifelines. If you build roads and settlements adjacent to the rivers, you can easily make a fortune. If you arrive too late, you may well become a poor settler and have a hard time trying to get rid of this disadvantage. In the third scenario, nomads have settled in the oasis. Since they are lacking wool and grain, they send out caravans to barter for the coveted resources. Of course, everybody wants to profit from the "Caravans," but sending the caravans to one’s own settlements isn't all that easy.
Catan’s wealth doesn’t go unnoticed. And thus it doesn’t take long until the "Barbarian Attack" descends upon Catan’s coasts. Now it is imperative that the Catanians close ranks and train knights. The knights rally for battle - not altogether selflessly, because each captured barbarian is worth half a victory point. The last scenario is titled "Traders & Barbarians." The barbarians have been driven off, and now it’s time to repair the damage. Soon, Catan’s roads and paths are bustling with baggage trains - marble and glass must be delivered to the castle, sand to the glassworks, and tools to the marble quarry. Successfully carrying out a delivery is awarded with a victory point and gold. Unfortunately, some scattered barbarians interrupt the smooth flow of the transports…
5 Challenging New Scenarios
- The Fishermen of Catan– Fish in the great lake or try casting in rich coastal shoals. A fresh, expanded, and updated version!
- The Rivers of Catan– Not one, but two great rivers invite flourishing commerce. Bridge them en route to glory and wealth.
- The Caravans– Nomads of the oasis seek wool and grain. Camel caravans offer rich trade opportunities.
- Barbarian Attack– Eager for booty, vile barbarians land and occupy Catan’s fertile shores. Brave knights unite and ride to battle against the invaders.
- Traders & Barbarians– Your wagons transport fine marble, glass, tools, and sand to help restore Catan’s great castle.
Combine these novel scenarios to create a refreshing, compelling campaign!
Delve deep into Catan! In Catan: Traders & Barbarians you’ll find lots of cool new ways to explore Klaus Teuber’s award-winning game series. You can now play with just 2 players! Add a harbormaster, a friendly robber, or special events. Play with a wealth of new wooden pieces, board tiles, and capabilities.
Even link your games to create an intriguing campaign. Use these 4 variants and 5 scenarios to reinvent your Catan experience!
- 24 wooden knights
- 12 wooden bridges
- 22 wooden camels
- 4 wooden wagons
- 36 wooden barbarians
- 40 coin counters
- 14 new terrain and water tiles
- 120 new cards
- Special victory point cards and tokens
- Variants & scenarios