From making the first cut to applying the finish, this comprehensive resource covers every aspect of woodcarving!
- Eight classic projects that will help you confidently build your skills and refine your talents
- How to sharpen your tools like an expert, and how to fix improperly sharpened tools
- Fundamental and complex carving techniques, including the push cut, pull cut, stop cut, slicing cut, and chip cut
- Tools and shop setup: Learn the available carving tools and how to use them, plus how to design your carving workspace
- Learn every classic carving style, from incised to chip, to low relief, to flat plane
- Wood, paint, and finishes: Learn how and why to select certain wood for your projects; learn about the available paints and finishes and how to properly use them
- Expert instruction from author Everett Ellenwood, a nationally known carving instructor with nearly 40 years of carving experience
If you're a woodworker expanding your talents, a seasoned carver brushing up on your technique, or a beginner newly introduced to this fun and fulfilling craft, you only need one carving book: The Complete Book of Woodcarving!
Inside this comprehensive and fully illustrated reference, Everett Ellenwood, a popular and nationally known carving instructor, has packed 40 years of carving "know how." The Complete Book of Woodcarving is brimming with Everett's expert instruction, insightful tips, and practical advice.
Everything is here for the beginning or advanced woodcarver, from choosing the appropriate wood; setting up a shop, selecting, using, and sharpening tools; and performing all the fundamental techniques, such as the push cut, pull cut, stop cut, and slicing cut.
Every general carving style—from classical to whimsical to rustic—is detailed, as are the basic steps of power carving, which can be used in addition to, or as an alternative to, hand carving. The author will also teach you how to develop your ideas into finished carvings, by taking you through the various items and techniques that will help you visualize and solidify your idea and prepare you to start carving it.
Eight projects designed to help newer woodcarvers build proficiency are included, along with the plans for the beautiful rocking horse featured on the cover. A handy resource section and a glossary round out this fully illustrated, must-have guide for all woodcarvers.
Whether you're a woodworker expanding your talents, a seasoned carver refining your skills, or a beginner newly introduced to this fulfilling craft, this is the only carving book you need!